(Links to pages detailing how to start a roofing company in your area are shown later in this article)
If you want to start a roofing company you must realize that running a profitable roofing business is a lot more than knowing how to find a leak or replace a roof. Being a successful roofing business owner involves organization, knowledge, patience, perseverance, people-skills, and a number of other traits. Many business owners fail, not because they weren’t skilled in their craft, but because they were not skilled in running a business.
The larger you want your roofing company to be, the better you need to be as a business owner, as the responsibility will be greater. It is not wrong to dream big, but if you are a new business owner, it is best to start small and work your way up.
On this page, and throughout The Roofer’s Helper website, you will find valuable tips and helpful information to get your roofing business off the ground.
3 STEPS TO STARTING A ROOFING COMPANY
There are three basic steps to starting a roofing company from scratch. First is planning. Second is registering with proper government institutions. Lastly, you will need to promote your business in some way to attract customers.
1. Plan Your Roofing Company
Before diving in to any business, you should develop a business plan. If you want to start a roofing company, you definitely need to start with a business plan! Roofing equipment and vehicles can cost a lot of money. Don’t forget about insurance costs, not only for you, but for any employees. A business plan doesn’t have to be anything complicated, but is something that will help organize your goals and priorities and help you make wise decisions.
- Set short and long-term goals – Plan your roofing company before you spend a dime.
- Decide what services you will offer – Decide the scope of your business.
- Find a niche – What will be your specialty? What will set you apart from the competition?
- Choose a business name – Put some thought into deciding your roofing company name.
- Decide what you will charge for your services
- Financing – Getting a business loan
As soon as you start your roofing business, you will need some sort of organizational structure so you can keep your customer communications and roofing-related paperwork in order. You won’t necessarily need a full office when starting out. An office desk dedicated to your roofing company paperwork would be helpful.
Get a daily planner or use your smartphone to schedule estimates, jobs, and other work-related appointments. An easy way to lose customers is to arrive late or even forget a scheduled appointment. A schedule will help you plan your day, week, and month, so you can make best use of your time and your customer’s time.
- Set up an office
- Business phone
- Roofing Estimate forms
- Bill Forms
You can’t start a roofing company without roofing equipment. Equipment will probably account for the largest portion of your startup costs. Starting out, you don’t necessarily need all brand-new equipment. You will save thousands of dollars in startup costs by purchasing a used truck, used ladders and ladder rack, and other misc. tools. Another tip is to only buy tools as jobs require them. This will help keep you from going into debt for tools and equipment you may end up never using.
Pricing can vary among roofing supply companies in various regions. When starting your roofing company, you’ll want to save every penny possible. It pays to shop around and take advantage of competitive pricing. You may notice a significant cost difference in materials when comparing prices at big box home improvement stores and roofing supply warehouses. You may even notice price differences from one city to another because of local competition.
- Build a relationship
- know your costs
2. Register Your New Roofing Business
Make it legal
Make sure you are following proper protocol in your region. This means having necessary insurance, following tax codes, getting proper licenses and permits, etc. This applies even to a part-time roofing business.
Some steps to starting your roofing company legally:
- Select your business structure (sole-proprietor, LLC, Corporation, etc.)
- Register your business name
- Register your business entity
- Register as a roofer or home improvement contractor with your state (US)
- Open a business bank account
- Taxes- either get an accountant, or do research on filing yourself
- Liability Insurance
- Worker’s Compensation
- City Licenses and Permits
Register A Roofing Company In: The United States
Register A Roofing Company In: Canada
Register A Roofing Company In: The United Kingdom
3. Grow Your New Roofing Business
In order to grow your roofing company, you will need to work hard, have people skills, and be patient. You will also need to market your business effectively. Success and profit won’t come overnight.
Beside employees, dealing with customers can cause a great amount of stress. Learning how to communicate well with customers can help boost sales and increase word-of-mouth leads.
- Learn how to sell a roofing job to a potential customer
- Estimate a roofing job properly
- Communicate regularly and clearly with the customer
- Be fair and honest- take responsibility for your mistakes
After you start a roofing business, you need to market it. Some low-cost advertising to get started can include a basic 1 or 2 page website, setting up a free business listing for your roofing company on Google and other online directories, social media accounts, business cards and a few yard signs.
- Roofing Company Branding/Logo
- Set up a Roofing Website
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- 15 Simple Roofing Marketing Ideas