How to Start a Handyman Business In Maine
To start your own handyman company in Maine, you will have to complete a few different steps. You may want to start here: How To Start A Handyman Business. Make sure you research properly as laws are constantly changing.
Getting started– A few websites created by the state of Maine on how to start a business can be found here: http://www.maine.gov/portal/business/starting.html and https://www1.maine.gov/cgi-bin/online/businessanswers/index.pl
- Register your handyman business name.
Contact your local government agency about registering your name.
- Select your business structure.
- Register your handyman business with the state of Maine.
You can find out more about obtaining a business license here: http://www.maine.gov/portal/business/licensing.html
- Open a business account at your bank.
You will need to open a separate bank account for your handyman business with your new business name.
- Register your business for tax purposes and hire an accountant.
If you are a small company, it is not too difficult to file your own taxes. As you grow, it will be easier to have an accountant do the work. More info about taxes here: http://www.maine.gov/portal/business/taxes.html and http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Starting-a-Business
- Get liability insurance.
More about liability insurance here: Contractor Liability Insurance
- Register as a contractor.
Check with your local government to see if you need to register as a handyman contractor in the state of Maine.
- Get worker’s compensation if you have employees.
- Get your own health insurance.
Since you will be self-employed, you will need your own health insurance. If you have employees, you will need a plan that will include their health needs also.
- Be aware of building codes and inspections and any necessary city licenses or permits.
You may be required to obtain a license to operate your handyman business in a particular locale, whether you are a resident, or not. You may also need a license and/or certification to perform certain types of work such as electrical or plumbing.