How To Start A Handyman Business In Washington State

Here is some information on starting a handyman business in the state of Washington.  You may want to start here:   How to Start a Handyman Business.

The state of Washington has a number of websites to help you get started with your business: and and
-Register your handyman business name.

Insurance quote

Find out more here:

More on choosing a handyman business name here: Handyman Business Name Ideas and How To Choose A Business Name

-Select your handyman business structure.

Determine what business structure you wish to have: Sole-proprietor, LLC, Partnership, Corporation, etc.

  -Register your handyman business.

If you are forming an LLC or Corporation, you need to register your business.

-Open a Business Checking Account.

You will need to open a separate bank account for your handyman business with your new business name.


-Find out about taxes, hire an accountant.

You may want to file your own taxes if you are a small company. As you grow, it will be easier to have an accountant do the work. More information about taxes here: and .

-Get Business Software

Business software will streamline your handyman business before you even start, giving you visibility and control over all your leads, sales, jobs, and tasks from a single program to get your company on the fast track toward growth.

You’ll also be able to create estimates, place material orders, automate the boring (but necessary) stuff, empowering you and your team to finish jobs on time and on budget. Try JobNimbus for Free!

-Get Liability Insurance for your Handyman Company.  

We work with because they’re the one-stop-shop for General Liability insurance and are able to get online quotes in all 50 states. Learn more >

the roofers helper

-Worker’s Compensation if you have employees

You will need Worker’s Compensation if you have any employees. Find out more>

 -Register as a to start a handyman business in Washington

You may need to register as a contractor.  Find out more here:

-Get Health Insurance.

Since you will be self-employed, you will need your own health insurance.  If you have employees, you will need a plan that will include their health needs also.

-Be aware of other regulations.

You may be required to obtain a license to operate your handyman business in a particular locale, whether you are a resident, or not.  You may need to apply for permits, and be subject to inspections.  You need to be aware of building codes.  You may be subject to OSHA regulations: